terça-feira, 22 de março de 2011

Lighthouse Bar

In the seventeenth century, the port of Salvador was one of the busiest and most important of the continent, and it was necessary to assist vessels that arrived at the Bay of All Saints in search of Brazil wood and other wood-in-law, sugar, cotton, tobacco and other items, to supply the European consumer market.
At the end of this century, after the tragic sinking of the Galleon Blessed Sacrament, flagship of the fleet of the General Company for Trade of Brazil, on a sand bank opposite the mouth of Red River, to May 5, 1668, Forte de Santo Antônio da Barra was rebuilt from 1696, during the General Administration of John of Lancaster (1694-1702), and received a beacon - a square tower topped by a bronze lantern glass fed to whale oil - according to the Institute Geography and History of Bahia, Brazil's first and oldest of the Continent (1698), when it began to be called the Lookout Bar or the Lighthouse Bar.

Lighthouse and Fort Santo Antônio da Barra.

Location of Lighthouse.

The logbook of the English buccaneer William Dampier in 1699, reports: "The entrance of the Bay of All Saints is defended by the imposing fortress of St. Anthony, whose hanging lanterns and lit to guide ships, seen at night."
Regent Decree of July 6, 1832 ordered the installation of a more modern lighthouse, built in England, replacing the old one. Upon completion of the works, opened in December 2, 1839, the new lighting equipment catóptico stood on a tower of masonry Tronconi, with a range of eighteen nautical miles in clear weather.
In 1937, the old system "Barbier" (incandescent kerosene) lighting has been replaced by electric light, is celebrating the centenary of the first lighthouse to December 2, 1939. Today the lighthouse is enshrined as an icon of the Bahian capital, inspired artists and poets.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário